The K7 was a good studio camera for it's day. It had excellent flesh tone reproduction. Not much good much above base ISO, but it was an enjoyable camera otherwise.

And the AF worked under studio lights, which the next camera didn't.

The K5, which was Hoya's first DSLR was a disaster from the get go. A colour variable AF sensor meant the thing was prone to severe focus errors, it had sensor stains from glue migration under the cover glass, control wheels that would stop functioning, buttons that would fall off, and I suspect other issues I've forgotten about.

It did have pretty good high ISO performance, which was of little use because it would back or front focus under artificial light, which is what made it less than useful in the studio.

It wasn't until the K5II under Ricoh that the K5 type became something worthwhile.

The AF issues were fixed with the K3 as far as I could tell, but I didn't do a lot of studio shooting with it. By the time it came along I didn't have studio access and I was tired of dealing with flaky models.

bill

Sorry Ralf, I hit the reply rather than reply list button.

On 9/9/2026 10:38 AM, Ralf R Radermacher wrote:
Am 09.09.26 um 17:29 schrieb Alan Cole:
Sorry, Ralf. I misunderstood you. Yes the K7 wasn't too bright. I suffered one for a couple of years before selling it & buying a K5 which is excellent in my opinion & will have to see me out.

The K-7 with its noisy Samsung sensor really was the pits. I bought a K-5 as soon as it became available, had it exchanged 3 times because of the sensor bubble problem but was quite happy with it once that had been solved. What a difference! Then I got a K-3, was even happier, and that's still with me.

As I'm no longer able to leave the house, that'll be my last Pentax DSLR. If it fails before me, I'll just get another one second-hand.

Ralf

--
%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]
to UNSUBSCRIBE from the PDML, please visit the link directly above and follow 
the directions.

Reply via email to