[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
[Date Index]
[Thread Index]
- Subject: Re: HTTP q values parser?
- From: Philippe Lhoste <PhiLho@...>
- Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 09:52:44 +0200
On 24/09/2009 18:59, Petite Abeille wrote:
Does anyone have a parser for HTTP q values (aka RFC 2616 3.9 Quality
Values) [1]?
E.g.:
image/gif, image/jpeg, text/html
image/gif;q=1.0, image/jpeg;q=0.8, image/png; q=1.0,*;q=0.1
gzip;q=1.0, identity; q=0.5, *;q=0
[1] http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec3.html#sec3.9
I always wondered what is the real usage of these. The reference, which you are kind
enough to provide, isn't very helpful. Is that fuzzy logic? :-)
My understanding is that it expresses preferences of client about content the server can
send, eg. in your example gzip content is preferred, uncompressed is fine, anything else
is a no-no. Relatively simple. But the image formats is a bit more perplexing, I never saw
a site offering to send Gif OR PNG image depending on browser preferences! :-)
I was wondering about the meaning of 0.8 with regard to simple binary 0 vs. 1.0, but I
realize these values can be used for sorting. I suppose using simple integers within
defined bound would have been too simple... :-D
Anyway, I fear I have no direct answer to your question; should I do the job, I suppose I
would turn to Lpeg... REs can be OK too, but perhaps it might be hard to handle all cases.
Or just a good old finite state machine...
--
Philippe Lhoste
-- (near) Paris -- France
-- http://Phi.Lho.free.fr
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --